Monday, May 9, 2011

Review: AGALLOCH "FROM WHICH OF THIS OAK" DEMO 1997

Agalloch
From Which of This Oak Demo 1997
Self-released


Holding this tape in my hand makes me feel very lucky in a couple of ways:

a) I never thought this band had achieved so much in these years of existence.
b) This tape is saved from 2002's flood disaster in my hometown.
c) The songs have been a foundation of what Agalloch is now.

This morning, I, once again, listened to this demo, which was not much differ from what Agalloch are today. Their demo indicates more into depressive moderate speed, not so death-metal and not so doomy, but the atmosphere of Agalloch is instilled in this release. The song structures has, as always, been a result of intelligence. Vocals are more into black-metal-alike screaming, but rest assured, there is no evil in any way in Agalloch.

Having only their demo makes me feel that I need to have all of their releases. Unfortunately, they are quite rare and hard to find for those who concerned about having first pressed release. Price range is quite unbelievable in ebay. By the way, it's worth the dollars if you are into depressive music.


1 comment:

  1. nice review. saya budak baru nak belajar lagu2 agalloch ni.. :)

    ReplyDelete