Friday, July 8, 2011

Review: DISEMBOWELMENT "DUSK" MCD 1992

Disembowelment
Dusk MCD 1992
Relapse Records

One of the band that have a significant impact on my perception towards overall death/doom metal genre.

As everyone can see now, the "d" logo used in my profile derived from this band. dISEMBOWELMENT (as it used to be spelled) is always, one of a kind in its genre. I remembered getting their material through tape trading, it was their "Mourning September" demo. It was an ordinary death metal band.

I put my interest when I read a good review about their second demo in 1991, "Deep Sensory Procession into Aural Fate", in Polish Holocaust zine. I always wanted to buy the demo from the band themselves, but in the period when our purchasing power is highly limited, all we can do during that time was praying that our trading partner has the demo in exchanging with Malaysian bands.

I got to listen to "Dusk" MCD when I traded with Dale Roy, he did the Canadian Assault zine. A very nice person indeed. And during that time, I already knew that dISEMBOWELMENT is a band that I will never left behind in searching for materials to trade with.

I'll write later on my part of discovery with dISEMBOWELMENT, most probably in the sense of holding their first and only album in my hand, and the opportunity to interview Jason Kells, guitarist, for my zine.

But it is nearly 20 years later that I got the chance to buy the "Dusk" MCD. Although it's presentation is below mediocre, I think it's best to suit the principle of "MCD" during that time.


"Dusk" MCD offers us 3 songs, "The Tree of Life and Death", "A Burial at Ornans" and "Cerulean Transience of All My Imagined Shore". The first 2 songs were taken from their  "Deep Sensory Procession into Aural Fate" while the 3 song was previously unreleased, recorded in 1992. Both first and second songs are much more raw and heavier in sounds compared to their album (all 3 songs are included in their 1993's "Transcendence into the Peripheral")


For those who never listen to dISEMBOWELMENT, they played doom metal, a very heavy one, without much keyboards or other melodramatic elements. The vocals are very growl in nature, which I really like to emphasis, IT'S VERY GROWL! Probably most of my admiration go to the vocal parts in the band.


I guess dISEMBOWELMENT did their parts in influencing my overall direction in listening to metal. Although the world had produced more and more great bands today (Agalloch, for example), there will be only one dISEMBOWELMENT.

No comments:

Post a Comment