Friday, September 7, 2012

BACTERIA "END OF HOPE" MCD 2012

Bacteria
End Of Hope MCD 2012
Self-released

BACTERIA, better known as pre-SILENT DEATH, a notorious old death/thrash metal band existed over 20 years ago, just got their first and only release "End Of Hope" in MCD format. The self-released format often has its weaknesses. Sorry to turn you guys down, this MCD format doesn't come in what it supposed to be after nearly 23-24 years of existence. First off, it came in a slim-case version, which gave us a sign how minimalistic took place. Then, after eagerly waiting for this release (of course it was since day one that I saw they advertised this on facebook), I quickly grab the CD and play it in my stereo. The worse thing happened, it just didn't play.

Realizing it might be a damaged copy, I, in despair, keep the CD back and wait for the moment to complaint and get a new copy.

Tonight, I just gave it a try to play in my notebook. Using the holy "winamp", it still didn't play. Browsing through the explorer, I just realized that my copy came in windows media audio file, which made me launch Windows Media Player, open the file manually (to make sure it played it correct sequence) and there it is, I am sitting, listening to what BACTERIA has to offer.

First song, "Kebangkitan", played in a semi-thrash, more into dark heavy metal kind of riffs. Most of the times, the keyboard seems to cover the song making it darker. The song doesn't have any resemblance with any ordinary death metal, which I positioned in my mind in the first place when hearing this CD. For me, it is more a Rotting Christ/ Root/ Dark Reality of death metal. Dark, semi-fast with great solos. Seems to be a great starter for the whole package songs!

The second song came, "Unknown World", an acoustic, well-written song. Not really my cup of tea because the darkish vocal seems to destroy the beautiful melody. But if you are viewing (while listening this) as being in a dark woods, then Blind Guardian's "The Bard Song's" would be a great comparative. Once again, the construction of this song is quite beautiful and complex.

Track 3 kicked in with "Virus". A kind of new Maiden-style-starting-songs. Slow plucking, dark ambient with keyboards playing an important role for a minute or so. The next riff is a bit like progressive death metal. I would say that it reminds me a lot to DEATH's works in "The Sound of Perseverance". Yet I couldn't find much aggressiveness in this track although the vocal seems to really emphasizing on something. It hard to refer without it lyrics of course. Have I indicate that this song is quite progressive in nature? I really mean it! A really astonishing 7 minutes journey of pure darkness!

"Survivor" came as track 4, a fast tune at first and in certain points. Some riffs are reminding me to early thrash metal sounds such as Mortal Sin or Intruder, in minimum amount. Nice solos but not so much progressive as the previous track. The intriguing vocal brings me to the memory of Greek bands. Not much goodness I can find in this track.

Track 5, "Wali 9" started with keyboards for few seconds before guitars and vocals took place. It starts slow as a heavy metal tune should be. I would say that it has a bit of Manowar-ish/ Dark Tranquility/ Amon Amarth sound. The music is well-written, it's simple yet beautiful in terms of guitar solos and melody. A great song to listen.

This release closed with just another acoustic reprise of "Unknown World" (minus one).

Overall, I would say that musically, BACTERIA have what it takes to go further, given some proper label names, they will have their chance. But in the current Malaysian scene, I would say that it needs harder efforts in making the music came with higher expectation in quality packaging. I would definitely say this release worth the bucks for those who are not looking for brutality in death metal.



3 comments:

  1. Bro, you can look for "Man Namblast"'s fb. The phone number is written in the insert but I think it's inappropriate to have it appear here. Email me, or if I can get a copy from a friend in Kuantan (from whom I got mine), I will text you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. man namblast, apa hal lah kau rasis, menghina kaum india, agama hindu baru-baru ni, biadap.

    ReplyDelete